Thursday 25 August 2011

Copenhagen Cooking


My Travelling Buddy!

 
Last weekend I spent my time in Copenhagen and got to sample food from some of the best restaurants at the Copenhagen Cooking festival. Unfortunately, as it was a last-minute decision to go there, I was too late to book a table at any of the 13 Michelin starred restaurants, which by the way, are also all closed on Sundays and Mondays. I was especially gutted about Noma, which has a 90-day waiting list and has been ranked in the top 3 restaurants in the world.  Another restaurant I missed was The Paul. Luckily, however, I’ve heard on the grapevine that chef Paul Cunningham has a new book out next year so I can at least sample some of his food  - albeit cooked by myself!



I managed to sample a variety of Nordic flavours nonetheless as the City celebrated quality produce and a resurgence of pride in the nation’s cookery. Copenhagen Cooking is on until 4th September 2011 so if you haven’t booked a flight, it’s not too late to do so.



Here are a few of my highlights…



Brunch



Café Dut Gule Hus, Istedgade 48.

Café Dut Gule Hus
Brunch is a very popular meal in Copenhagen with most cafés offering a dedicated brunch menu until 2pm, and some serving as late as 4pm. A local man recommended Café Dut Gule Hus, in the up and coming area of Vesterbrø, which was possibly one of the best brunches I’ve ever had. It was exactly what brunch should be – a big meal with many options, perfect for an indecisive and greedy eater like me. 

The Vegetarian had an equally satisfying alternative, although the Danish seem to be similar to the Spanish in their thinking and do not quite understand what a vegetarian is: they put pescatarian and vegetarian under the same title.  (Mind you, this did work in my favour, as I got an extra pot of salmon mousse to nibble on.) 

The Vegetarian's Brunch

My Brunch
If all of that wasn’t enough, we copied the table next to us and ordered a side dish of pancakes and maple syrup too!
 
Pancakes with Maple Syrup


Aamans Smørebrøds Resturant and Deli - Øster Farimagsgade 10 

Aamans Smørebrøds
The Smørebrød is a Danish open sandwich that is eaten at lunch. A thin slice of rye bread is layered with a selection of fish or meats, a thick dressing and raw or pickled vegetables. It’s actually very filling and two or three heavy topped smørebrød will leave you feeling pretty full.

Although smørebrød is a popular lunchtime snack, many venues make it badly and over-layer it with toppings and dressings so it was great to hear about Aamans restaurant and taste smørebrød as it should be. 

Aamans is a smørebrød restaurant with Deli next door, run by popular TV chef Adam Aamans, who is famous for his smørebrød.

Herring is particularily key to a good smørebrød and the waiter at Aamans immediately told us what the herring of the day was: elderflower pickled and pan-fried. I couldn’t refuse the speciality so I chose one smørebrød with herring and another with salmon. 

My Smørebrøds


Unfortunately they were lacking in options for the Vegetarian so he had the only veggie dish, which was layers of potatoes and picked vegetables, and the cheese board option, which came with rhuburb chutney.

The Vegetarian's Smørebrøds

We decided to take the waiter’s recommendation of a home-made schnapps to go with our smørebrød too - I had an elderflower version and the Vegetarian had rhuburb.

Rhubarb and Elderflower Schnapps

No comments:

Post a Comment