Thursday 28 April 2011

Arancini with an orange and pear salad

Yesterday's Beetroot and Broccoli Risotto


Arancini filled with Mozzarella and Ham

Orange and Pear Salad

I was in the mood for risotto and my mum recommended I try Aldo Zilli's risotto with purple sprouting broccoli and beetroot so I gave it a go.
I used normal broccoli as my local veg lady didn't have any purple sprouting. I found that the risotto was lacking a bit in flavour so if I make it again I will par-boil the broccoli first.
Whenever I make a risotto I like to make too much so that I have enough left-overs to make arancini.
Arancini 'little oranges' are a Sicilian speciality. There is a traditional recipe (fried rice balls covered in breadcrumbs, filled with mozzarella, tomato sauce and mincemeat) but they can also have many different fillings. I like to use left-over risotto as the rice is already flavoured and has a sticky texture which is perfect for moulding. Yesterday I filled the vegetarian's with mozzarella and added ham to mine.

Arancini

Serves: 2
Yesterday’s risotto, divided into palm size sections.
2 slices whole meal bread turned into breadcrumbs
2 free range eggs, whisked and seasoned
Buffalo mozzarella, quartered

M: Slice or two of ham

Wrap each piece of mozzarella in the risotto and mould it with your hands into the shape of a ball. Dip the rice ball into the egg and then roll it in the breadcrumbs until covered. Repeat with all sections of risotto until you have numerous balls.

M: Wrap the mozzarella in the ham first before following above instructions.

Heat olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan until bubbling hot. Lower the heat and gently fry the risotto balls for a few minutes on each side until the arancini is golden brown all over.

Cut open and watch the mozzarella ooze out. They are pretty filling so I serve mine with a refreshing salad.


Orange and Pear Salad

Serves: 2
1/2 orange, segments peeled and pith removed
1/2 pear, sliced
Chunk of blue cheese, crumbled
Chunk of cucumber, sliced
Handful walnuts
A few lettuce leaves
Olive oil

Mix all the ingredients together and drizzle with a little olive oil. 

1 comment:

  1. And this little piggy said, "Oh no! Not ham!" But... Thanks for sharing the vegetarian version with us. :)

    ReplyDelete