Tuesday 4 January 2011

Pumpkin and Butternut Squash Soup

I made this soup for friends after my mum insisted I helped get rid of a massive pumpkin that had appeared in her kitchen over Christmas. I'm usually not a big fan but the pumpkin and butternut squash worked well together and the chilli added a spicy kick. All my friends asked for the recipe so I hope that means I did something right.

Serves: 6-8

1 pumpkin, deseeded and chopped into large chunks
1 butternut squash, deseeded and chopped into large chunks
2 onions, chopped
1 knob ginger, chopped
6 garlic cloves, 3 peeled and left whole, 3 chopped
Chilli flakes, sprinkle
Handful sage leaves, chopped
1 litre veg stock
Olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper

Heat oven to 180C. Toss the pumpkin and butternut squash in a roasting tin with a glug of olive oil, seasoning, the 3 whole garlic cloves and roast for 30 mins until golden and tender. Leave to cool and scoop out the pulp.


Meanwhile, gently fry the onions, ginger and remaining garlic until soft. Add the pulp, roasted garlic sage and a sprinkle of chilli before covering with the veg stock. Simmer for an hour partially covered (add more water if necessary, the vegetables should stay covered).


Gzoozh with a hand blender until smooth. Serve with homemade rolls and a dollop of crème fraiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment