Tuesday 22 February 2011

Warm salad with tzatziki: Feta or Bacon


Warm salad with tzatziki

I'm attempting a detox this week, which technically makes me a vegan as it cuts out meat and dairy products as well as wheat, caffeine and sugar. I went for the easiest detox I could find but it's already proving to be quite difficult. For breakfast today I had yoghurt with granola, vegetable soup with ryvita for lunch, snacks of fruit, nuts and raisons in between, and this warm salad for dinner. Usually I would serve this salad with a boiled egg, giving the vegetarian a few chunks of cheese and myself chopped up crispy bacon, this is the recipe I am giving you. I forgot to add any protein to my detox version of the salad this evening so I now blame my craving for sweet things on this. I'm not sure what happened but I found myself in the kitchen stuffing rice cakes dripping with honey (honey is allowed) into my mouth. This was not an exciting snack, I do not recommend.

Serves: 2
Handful baby potatoes
1/2 head of broccoli
Handful fresh peas
Handful green beans, halved
Handful asparagus, chopped into three
2 spring onions, finely chopped
Handful cherry tomatoes, halved
2 free range eggs
Glug olive oil
Glug ume plum seasoning
Pepper

V: Chunks of feta cheese
M: 2 slices of bacon, chopped

Boil the potatoes until tender (approx 15 minutes). Drain and half.

Steam the broccoli, asparagus, green beans and peas for 5 minutes.

Cook the eggs in water for 3-5 minutes once the water has boiled for a semi-hard yolk. Drain and half.

M: Fry the bacon until crispy.

Mix all the ingredients together adding bacon to one portion and feta to the other. Serve warm with tzatziki.

No comments:

Post a Comment